Monday, March 11, 2013

Q3 Exam review

Please email me with any questions. 

Know the main ideas of all 3 works. 

For "A Doll's House," know how the characters know each other. 
Know the pet names used for Nora, and what they symbolize. 
Know when Nora leaves the sitting room, and what her actions at the end of the play symbolize. 
Know how the characters feel about each other, and why. Ex - how does Torvald feel about Krogstad, and why? How does Dr. Rank feel about Nora, and why?

Short answer/essay

1.
Select one symbol from The Metamorphosis.  Explain the significance, and connect the symbol to a character.  
  
2.
Explain the speaker, situation, and significance of this quote:  "It is as if I had been going downhill while I imagined I was going up. And that is really what it was. I was going up in public opinion, but to the same extent life was ebbing away from me. And now it is all done and there is only death."

3.
Other than death, what is the most prevalent theme in The Death of Ivan Ilyich?  Use details from the text to support your answer.  

4.
Identify the irony in the following quote.  Include the speaker and situation.  "Do you know, Nora, I have often wished that you might be threatened by some great danger, so that I might risk my life's blood, and everything, for your sake."

In A Doll’s House, The Death of Ivan Ilyich, AND The Metamorphosis, how are the characters’ perceptions of reality both different from and the same as their actual realities?  How do these perceptions shape the characters?  How do they affect the themes?  


Vocabulary: 
sycophantvacuous.      cantankerouspiece de resistancebane
apocryphaldisparitydichotomylugubriouscharisma

No comments:

Post a Comment